Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Mystery Reading


I usually don't read mystery books, mostly because I get too impatient and think I have solved the crime and skip to the end to see if I'm right. So I ruin it for myself either way. So I have found a solution. I listen to mystery fiction in my car. :0) I have an hour commute everyday so I pick mystery novels to help me get through the grind of LA traffic. I highly recommend this to anyone who has a long commute. Either getting a fiction on CD or self help audio, it really makes the time go by faster and you are too busy trying to figure out who "did it" that you are not easily perturbed when somebody cuts you off.

I just finished "reading" Blacklist by Sara Paretsky, a V.I. Warshawski novel. I never even heard of this P.I novel and in doing my research I found that it's a very popular series. There is even a movie made in 1991 based on this sleuth, portrayed by Kathleen Turner. So I will be checking this out soon. This novel takes place right after 9/11 and in addition to dealing with the mystery of a murder in the rich suburbs of Chicago it incorporates the issues of censorship, the Patriot Act and McCarthyism as it applies to the life in America today. It is a fascinating book, though the narrator on my CD didn't do a good job of giving V.I. Warshawski a tougher persona that I think the author was trying to convey. But overall I do recommend the book. I will be looking for more V.I. Warshawski mysteries to listen to in the car and so should you.

No comments: