Tuesday, April 17, 2007

THEY are coming!!

Ok, I finished listening to The Taking by Dean Koontz and it was very fascinating and spellbinding. I had no idea that Koontz wrote horror. I just grabbed this title because I see that he is very popular with our patrons, so I decided to give him a chance. I don't usually like to read the back of the book with the summaries because I like to be surprise and not expect things to happen. So I just picked up this title at random. When I listened to it on my way home at night I was spooked on several occasions and would run to my front door from my car because I was so frightened. I actually had a nightmare the first night I listened it, and from there I was hooked. I really enjoyed how the narrator read it, Ariedne Meyers did an awesome job.


This book is about an attack on earth by foreign invaders and how Molly and Neil deal with the attacks and the events that happen to earth. I really enjoy these stories that portray how an alien attack affects individuals. This is not written like your basic Sci-Fi books and does not make you feel like you are watching a B-movie about aliens. It is so captivating that you are drawn into this world. Koontz's descriptive ability allows you to understand fully the experience of his protagonists. Also it makes us question our own humanity and purpose on this earth. I am not a sci-fi person, but like I said before I am try out new genres when it comes to my audio book selections, and I am now a Dean Koontz fan. I really recommend this book and hope that you will pick it up at your local library.


In my past attempts to give popular authors a shot I have read several that seem to be very popular and below are those I have picked up that have proven to be a bit of a disappointment.

Authors that are overrated:
John Grisham The Chamber,
James Patterson The Jester, 1st to Die
Michael Crichton Airframe
All of these authors are hailed and movies are made of their books. But all three authors have proven to be a disappointment. They tickle your senses but when it comes to pay up they lack in the climax. Don't believe the hype.

No comments: