Monday, April 30, 2007

My French Whore: a Love Story


By Gene Wilder is a wonderful book. I know, the title sounds scandalous but the actual story is endearing. It's a short book that takes place during World War I in the French/German trenches. Paul Peachy is the main protagonist and he shares his story during the war in Germany and his relationship with his french whore. I listened to it in my car and found that it was very captivating and full of emotion. I highly recommend you pick it up for a quick read.
Patron Stories
Working at the reference desk we also deal with telephone reference questions. Our particular library has two patrons that call weekly just to be on the phone. There is one lady who always calls when we are the most busiest and keeps whoever she is talking to on the line forever!!! We try to be as patient as possible but when you have a line of patrons in front of you and the patron on the phone is just expressing her point of view on how she hates living in the city and how she will be moving soon, it's kinda necessary to cut her off. I am good at this, but there has been times when one of my nicer colleagues was on the line with her for over 30 minutes. And this was at 9pm when our library was closing. I'm sorry but at this point you just have to cut some people off. Lesson for today, don't call the library just because you are bored.

No comments: