Monday, May 14, 2007

The NY Scene


If you want a quirky book to read that will show you how the other half lives, then Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes is for you. The other half being the Manhattan socialites who's biggest worry is making sure to get invited to the next preview sale by Valentino. The book is narrated by Moi a character who's name is never given but is fun to read about. She is best friends with the Bergdorf heiress and their zany adventures will make you wonder if girls in New York really get engaged so that they can be part of the engagement party scene and not really to get married. I find it interesting to read about the lives of others especially those who don't have money worries. Though the characters seem a bit superficial at times, you become attached to their plight in finding a PH (perspective husband) and hilarity ensues.


I picked up this book during my recent travels to Puerto Rico where I needed something to keep my mind off the turbulence. It's very quirky and fun to read just for the sheer entertainment value of being in the inside track of this elite social scene. It is handy to know some names of designers just to know what they are talking about. Watching Sex in the City should be sufficient training.
PATRON STORIES
There is nothing like the feeling you get when you kick out a ranting patron. This particular patron decided we needed to hear the 10 commandments be recited. At first I thought she was talking on the phone, but the closer she got to the main hallway the louder she got and started yelling towards our patrons. As soon as she saw me approaching she quited down and walked out. I wasn't sure what I was going to do when I reached her, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.

No comments: