Monday, August 27, 2007

Austenland


With a book dedication like this I could not resist this book:

"For Collin Firth
You're a really great guy, but I'm married, so I think we should just be friends."


Austenland by Shannon Hale was very entertaining and funny. Like the main character Jane I too love the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice and fell in love with Collin Firth because of it. The writing of this novel was very similar to that of Jane Austen which made it more interesting to read. Though I have not read all of Miss Austen's books, the book is an easy read.
Jane, a graphic design artist is obsessed with finding her Mr. Darcy and in the process has gone through several relations that have scarred her for life. Her great-(rich)aunt leaves her an unusual gift in her last Will and Testament which takes Jane to a surreal Austenland. I know there are many of you Austen lovers out there, so I recommend this book to you. You will not regret it.



My Patrons

I have regular patrons that annoy me so much that I gave them a nickname. The first is Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum. They are a married couple that always come in and cause trouble. I have been yelled at by them at least once since I've been working here with their irrational demands and complaints. They complete each other because they cannot comprehend how the world doesn't revolve around them.

The next couple is Heckle & Jeckle. They are a pair of "Emo" friends that always come in with their loud iPods, and snotty attitude. They gather at a computer with other friends and cause a raucous. They have a wanna be mohawk and tight jeans . They are rude and obnoxious when approached about their loudness and continue to ignore the rules of the library.

Then there's Uncle Fester and Igor this is another married couple that come in and think they own the place. After being yelled at by Fester they no longer come and ask questions at the desk when I'm here. I think he is embarassed about how he made an ass of himself.
So those are my patrons. Ahh! The joy of librarianship.


No comments: